More On The Announced Guest Artists...
Guest Artists Will Include:
Fred Hembeck - Since the tail end of the seventies, Fred has had his work published professionally by such diverse firms as Marvel Comics, DC Comics, Fantaco Enterprises, First Comics, Krause Publications, Fantagraphics Books, Eclipse Enterprises, Topps Comics, Two Morrows Publications, Archie Comics-the list isn't exactly endless, but well, you get the idea. Fred has created one of his unique ‘Across The Page’ illustrations of FINAL CRISIS villain, Libra and The Injustice Gang of The World, which will be debuted at Saratoga Springs Comic Con 2008!
Matt Smith - Matt has worked on many well regarded comic series’ over the years, imparting his stylishly sharp illustrations to such stellar series’ as, STARMAN (death of Ragdoll), SHOWCASE/Dr. Fate, NIGHTCRAWLER, THE PATH, and SANDMAN MYSTERY THEATER – his current title is SUPERNATURAL: ORIGINS
Rob Granito – Rob Granito is a very talented and engaging artist/illustrator who were happy to have returning to SSCC again this year, he has worked for over a dozen years in the fields of Comics, Sci-fi and fantasy. Working for companies such as Warner Brothers, DC comics, Disney, MTV and VH1 where he worked of a variety of medium ranging from cartoons and comic books to novel covers as well as creating sculptures and murals. He also designed the unique one-day special-issue BATMAN postage stamp for The United States Postal Service.
John Hebert – John’s comic publishing portfolio includes dynamic work on such titles as X-Men Adventures, PUNISHER, DEATHLOK, and NOMAD – his Work can also be seen produced via his own, Fifth Horseman Studios
• Garrison Excelsior, the Upstate NY Chapter of Vader’s First 501st Legion, The World’s Definitive Imperial Costuming Organization, will be in attendance and joined by Chris Simonds and his fully functional R2-D2!!!
• The Comic Book Hall of Fame, NY State’s own organization established by Syracuse’s Roger Rautio, will be in attendance to educate all interested parties in their goals for The CBHoF. The CBHoF seeks to honor those who constructed the art & history of comic book lovers favorite art form!!
• The Auction to benefit The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund – The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund was founded in 1986 to defend the First Amendment rights of comic books and the people who create and sell them. Since its establishment, the Fund has defended dozens of retailers and artists in important First Amendment cases, and provided free legal advice and education to hundreds of others. The CBLDF's guiding principle is that comics should be accorded the same constitutional rights as literature, film, or any other form of expression. If interested in contributing comics, comic art, collectibles or services to be auctioned off for the benefit of The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, please contact us though this site.
In addition to the guest artists and services listed above we have updates on other vendors and artists in attendance:
• SPA CITY COMICS - our neighborhood comic shop, (and owner, Shaun Belisto) where SSCC buys their weekly stash of ‘funny books’ will be in attendance with many great book, toys and other shop merchandise on display that you can find everyday at their Saratoga Springs, Phila Street location
• THE COMIC DEPOT – another fine comic emporium in neighboring, Greenfield Center, NY, (and owner, Darren Carrara) will be represented at the event with more comic merchandise goodness, and Darren will also be hosting our one-day Magic the Gathering, card gaming event
• EXCELLENT ADVENTURES – Ballston Spa’s Comic & Collectibles emporium. John & Matt Belskis have spent the last decade spreading comic fun in upstate NY & we welcome them at SSCC this year!
• STRONGARM LABS - graphic novels, graphic art, and unique product designs featuring zombies, hauntings, science, and other funny things. Brought to you by Mark Gonyea and Sam Girdich.
• BIG DEAL COMICS – Steve Andrews has been buying, selling & trading old/new comics, sports/non-sports cards, toys, books, movies, magazines, and monster/horror memorabilia for over 20 years in Upstate NY
Thanks again for your interest in SSCC 2008 and return to this page for regular updates as we count down to the June 21st event!!!